The Crow (1994)
Rewatched this last night. Great flick and one of main reasons it’s such a favorite of mine is that for a story about a murder victim coming back from the grave to enact vengeance on the people who did it and its dark, decrepit setting, it’s a non-cynical and very hopeful film. Most revenge flicks are either grim mediations on how ruinous vigilante violence is (I Saw The Devil) or goofy exploitation fodder (Oh hi Death Wish 3).The Crow, on the other hand, is a movie that tells us evil will face justice, that good, incorruptible people exist, that you CAN lift yourself out of the gutter and selfless sacrifice is rewarded.
Also interesting is the ways in which the movie is a precursor to the Nolan Batman films. (Which are also dark movies that I think aren’t as cynical as many people believe.) Listen to Michael Wincott’s “Greed is for amateurs” speech and tell me that doesn’t sound like something The Dark Knight’s Joker would say.
- humanoidhistory likes this
- johnkarasu likes this
- tygeroftheforest reblogged this from omercifulheaves
- cruelangel94 likes this
- kenna-montana reblogged this from omercifulheaves
- lil-monsterx3 reblogged this from omercifulheaves
- pocketwishes reblogged this from omercifulheaves and added:
- pocketwishes likes this
- missgothic82 likes this
- failuretime reblogged this from omercifulheaves
- thedoctorwiththebrokenheart likes this
- jklssn likes this
- omercifulheaves posted this